Chickens are naturally curious animals with the desire to peck and explore. Keep your flock busy, happy, and healthy with one (or more!) of the best chicken toys available.
Anyone who’s spent time with chickens knows they are active, hilarious, and have personalities of their own. One researcher determined that chickens “are just as cognitively, emotionally and socially complex as most other birds and mammals in many areas” (source).
Do chickens need toys?
Chicken toys do a few things:
- They provide the mental stimulation your chickens need to keep them from developing bad habits such as bullying, fighting, stealing and eating eggs, and overeating.
- Enrichments can increase physical activity, which may help prevent leg problems (source).
- They also provide great entertainment to people when they use the chicken toys. Watching a chicken peck at its reflection in a mirror is quite the entertainment for young kids too.
In this post we’ve selected the best chicken toys to keep your chickens happy and your toddlers laughing. Check them out.
This post includes affiliate links. If you make a purchase using one of these links, Together Time Family will receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
If you want to improve your chicken coop, then a chicken swing is your next purchase. When I built my first chicken coop I wondered if the chickens would use their perch. Go figure, that is their favorite place to be.
Chickens love swings, they love being up high and given the extra stimuli from the cool colors on this swing, your chickens will love it so much you’ll need a second one for those left out.
- SAFE MATERIALS - Vehomy Chicken ladder swing is made of natural wood, colorful bells, and natural corn bran, durable, non-toxic, and sanitary, there...
- Size - The Chicken toy for hens is made of very sturdy natural wood with length 15.75inch, width 3.54inches, suitable for all breeds and ages of...
- Design- With suspension hook design, it allows chicken to jump onto it, flat ladder surface make sure your chicken's balance on it.
If you’re looking for something less flashy, this is the swing for your chickens. Your chickens have plenty to occupy them: there are bells, colored balls, and plenty of bark to peck at.
This perch swing may also be more comfortable for chickens to stand on because they can easily wrap their feet around it without awkward rungs or braces.
A swing may not work for you depending on your setup. Here is a ladder your chickens will love to test their ninja skills on. Don’t let the photo fool you, it is harder than it seems, but your chickens will have no trouble mastering it.
If you want to entice your chickens to use the ladder, put a tasty treat at the end of the ladder so they are more likely to use it.
- Fun activity and colorful design to reduce coop boredom, bringing smiles to the people that care for them
- Size: 47.2''*3.9''(L*W) (the length including metal clasp)
- Climbing ladder motion is enjoyed by the chicken as well as the people who watch them climbing
Here’s a super neat feeder which your chickens will enjoy. It may take a bit of time but food is an easy way to reinforce behaviors with your chickens.
Not to worry, the lid is slow opening and closing so your chickens will not get hurt by the lid slamming shut. Also, the side panels keep onlooking chickens from feeding at the same time so everyone may get their chance.
- SPECS - The Standard Automatic Poultry Feeder Trough will hold 20 lbs (9kg) of feed; Includes: Mesh Fence/Anti-Flick Grill stops chickens throwing...
- RELIABLE DESIGN - Use Side Guards to train fowl to stand on tread-plate to access food and protect the feed from escaping; Built of High Quality...
- CAPABILITIES - Outlet opening enables large comb roosters to access feed with ease; This Trough provides feed to approximately 6 fowl for up to 10...
Mealworms are chicken’s favorite treat. If you are looking for a chicken peck toy, this is it. The roller will keep the chickens busy by chasing it around the chicken run. They can look, scratch, peck, and eat the mealworms.
Mealworms are great for fattening up your chickens but sometimes it seems those don’t last very long since they are so delicious. You also need to make sure your chickens don’t eat too many mealworms at once or they can gain weight too quickly.
This chicken treat dispenser will keep your chickens occupied with the same delicious treat for much longer. Remember, the longer you can occupy your chickens, the less time they have to develop bad habits like bullying and fighting.
- Perfect Mealworm Dispenser For Chickens
- The Design Accommodates Their Natural Behavior To Look, Scratch And Peck At The Treat Roller
- Offers Stimulation And Promotes Healthy Activity
The Lixit Chicken Feeder toy is a classic when it comes to chicken toys. It is relatively easy for chickens to figure out and keeps them busy doing important chicken business.
The Lixit Chicken toy can be compared to other portable food dispensers but there really is none like it. Your chickens will be hooked and you will have plenty of entertainment just watching them pecking and eating all day long
- HOURS OF FUN: Food is released as chickens peck at the toy, providing lots of fun
- VERSATILE: The Lixit Chicken Toy can be filled with seeds, fruits, greens, mealworms, or whatever treat you'd like to give them
- KEEP BOREDOM AT BAY: Help keep your flock occupied with this toy to give them exercise and stimulation
Let’s face it, chickens do not concern themselves with keeping their food clean. This Vegetable Chicken Feeder toy is perfect for giving your chickens the chance to have clean vegetables before anyone has the chance to drag them through the dirt (or poop on them).
It’s also ideal for giving multiple chickens the opportunity to have some of the treats. Too often, food and treats are hoarded and only the quickest gets the worm. This toy allows you to control that by limiting the access and how much each chicken can take.
- An entertaining way to provide leafy greens to the backyard flock
- Fill if full of fresh vegetables - large enough to fit a whole head of lettuce
- It rolls and entertains chickens while providing a healthy treat
These ladies need a veggie treat ball to keep their morning treats off the ground! It might also help the olive egger and Speckled Sussex learn some manners…they’re always jumping to the front of the line.
Music toys for chickens
It’s almost like chickens were made to play the xylophone. Their quick pecks and curious minds make it an ideal toy for them. Xylophones also make great entertainment for the family. Your little kids will be laughing and pointing at the silly chicken playing music.
Chicken Xylophones are unique because they won’t have styrofoam anywhere on the toy where they can eat and damage their insides.
- CHICKEN FUNNY TOYS: The chicken recreational xylophone toy can be fixed on the coops, cage or fence. When the chick peck it, it would give out...
- BRIGHT COLORS-KEEP ATTENTION: Chickens are always attracted by crisp sounds and bright colors. They will explore toys with their beaks and claws. Your...
- PECKING TOYS-RELIEVE BOREDOM: When your chickens are bored, you need to provide toys for them to play. This toy can provide fun for chickens by...
Another great musical instrument for chickens is an electric piano. A simple one, like for toddlers, works well. It may take a bit of coercion and lots of treats but your chickens will certainly get the hang of it and you will have some clucking beats to listen to.
Be sure to place the piano on something low enough the chickens can hit the keys and don’t confuse the buttons instead of the keys. You may want to place some food on the keys to get them started, after that, they should realize their pecking is making some extra noise.
- 【KIDS PIANO KEYBOARD PARAMETER】Age:3-8 years old. Product size: 40 * 15.5 * 3.1cm / 15.7 * 6.1 * 1.2inch(L * W * H), Material: ABS, Non-toxic...
- 【MULTIFUNCTIONAL 32 KEYS PIANO】Play the piano function + DOUBLE SPEAKERS + ensemble mode + detachable microphone + audio cable jack + keyboard...
- 【ENLIGHTENMENT EDUCATION】Music mode lets them play the piano like a regular keyboard. The keyboard can also help little ones refine their motor...
Chicks grow pretty quick, so it is imperative that they receive the mental stimulation they need to be well behaved chickens. This baby chick perch and mirror toy is perfect for the little ones.
Though they’ll grow out of fitting inside the toy, they’ll be able to use the perch and mirror as an adult chicken.
- Safe Materials: Vehomy Chicken perch stand is made of natural wood, the top perch of the stand is made of natural quartz sands and pure nature wood...
- Size and Color: The bars of the Chicken toy for Chicks are about 15" long, and the flower shape holders are about 5.9" height, the diameter of the...
- Design: Vehomy chick perch with mirrors are designed for little chicks learning to roost in the brooder, the top bar is rough to trim their little...
Imagine seeing yourself for the first time in a mirror, a photo, or the water’s reflection. Your perception of yourself would change forever. That is essentially what this experience is like for a chicken, perhaps a bit more subdued.
Mirrors are some of the best stimulation you can provide your flock. It really gets them admiring themselves and keeps them more focused on good behaviors that promote a healthy set of chickens.
- Design: Vehomy chicken mirrors toys were designed suspension hook and both side mirrors, make it easy to hang it in any chicken coop and cage.
- Size: the chicken toy is total 41cm/ 16.1inches long, suitable for all breeds and ages of chickens to use in the coop, also suitable for birds...
- Materials: Vehomy Chicken mirror toys are made of natural wood and acrylic mirrors, non-toxic and harmless, safe for your pet birds to play and peck....
Chicken perches are incredibly important especially to keep chicken’s feet healthy. This perch has the added benefit of being heated and perfect for cold spring nights.
Once your chicks are no longer using their heat lamp, use this perch to make sure they have some help staying warm. Whether you have a small flock or some baby chicks who need some warmth help, this perch is ideal for all.
- No more frozen toes! Chickens lose a lot of body heat through their feet, a heated chicken perch prevents frozen toes
- Dual internal thermostats regulate the perch to the perfect temperature, day, and night to keep your beaked buddies warm
- Heated perch warms the entire body utilizing the bird's own circulation system
It’s no secret that chickens love to see things from a different perspective. This is the easiest way to keep your chickens entertained and occupied with something different.
This perch has the benefit that it is super portable. If it seems your chickens are getting bored and need a change of scenery, just move the perch to somewhere new to keep them busy.
- SAFE MATERIALS - Vehomy Chicken perch stand is made of natural wood, the top perch of the stand is made of natural quartz sands and pure nature wood...
- Size - The Chicken toy for hens is made of very sturdy natural wood with length 15.75inch, suitable for all breeds and ages of chickens to use in the...
- Color: the color of the top perch of the stand is random
Chicken Chew Toys
Chicken toys come in all shapes and sizes, but making sure they are non-toxic to your chickens is important. This Chicken Chew toy is made of non-toxic materials safe for your chickens to ingest if they tear a piece off.
- With suspension hook design,suit for all kinds of chicken cage.
- Natural food coloring it is both safe and secure.
- Made of natural loofah grass,it is safe and healthy for chicken.
3D Printed Chicken Toys
Chicken arms are incredibly entertaining. There is something hilarious about a chicken wearing raptor arms. These usually come in multiple colors and can even be painted if you are unhappy with the color. You should avoid the color red if possible but pecking at the plastic arms won’t necessarily damage them.
Below is a photo of our chickens with a similar set of chicken arms. Just know that chickens may not take to the addition too kindly. They will peck at the strange object and so will their flock. The plastic arms shouldn’t really hurt your chickens unless there are sharp edges. You can easily sand down the rough parts with some sandpaper.
This is a great handmade perch for the little ones. Encouraging the little chicks to work for their food is a great way to keep them busy, focused, and healthy. With this toy, the little chicks have to climb onto the perch to get their food. This is great for the chicks who are one to six weeks old.
The chick feeder has an optional divider. This keeps the chicks off the table and on the perch to encourage good table manners. As the chickens grow up, it will teach them to not trample their food. This chicken toy is super adorable and the colors are great.
If you’re the DIY type, you will enjoy this book of DIY Chicken Keeping Projects from Lisa Steele of Fresh Eggs Daily.
Not all of the projects are toys, but the book includes 40 fun chicken projects that range in difficultly from very simple (the egg tray and chicken swing) to complicated (like the roadside chicken egg stand.)
- Steele, Lisa (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 160 Pages - 02/11/2020 (Publication Date) - Quarry Books (Publisher)
The picture below shows my mother-in-law’s chicken swing built from Lisa Steele’s plans. The coop is from her New England Chicken Coop plans. (If you decide to build the coop, count on it taking more than the 6 hours suggested in the plans! It took me several weekends to finish.)
For a DIY chicken toy on a budget, check out this idea for a chicken treat feeder toy made from a plastic bottle.
You can also learn how to make your own simple chicken swing from Kris of Attainable Sustainable.
Whether you hire a full time entertainer, play music, or just let your toddler play with the chickens, it’s important to give your chickens something to do. Just imagine if you had no responsibilities but also had no mental stimulation other than a bunch of other feathery beings just getting in your way all day. Yeah, you too would probably develop some bad habits.
Chickens are not incredibly intelligent but that does not mean they don’t have an understanding of what is going on around them. The toys in this post are simple seeming, which is good, but highly effective at keeping your chickens occupied and healthy.
What’s your favorite chicken toy? Leave a comment and let us know!
Angel is a Cuban immigrant who grew up with backyard chickens and a yard-loving abuela. He is our “gear guy” who can never have too many pairs of gloves or weed whacker attachments.