Weed eating in the rain is something we all try to avoid but it turns out that weed eating immediately after it rains can be a good thing in some cases. In most situations, weed eating on a rainy day is the only option and I personally find that it helps keep me cool and I can work longer with a small amount of sprinkling rain.
This post includes affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission on purchases made at no additional cost to you.
In a rush? Here are our top picks!
If you want the option to weed eat during a light rain, you should consider a water proof hat to keep your head dry. My favorite hat for wet weather is Kavu’s Chillba Sun Hat. My neighbors think it’s a silly hat but I’m the one staying dry in the rain. This hat is super wide and even floats in a pool so you’ll stray dry even during the worst downpour.
- Inspired by global design: The KAVU Chillba hat was created in response to the high demand for traditional sunhats after the Strapcap became popular....
- Superior sun protection: The wide brim of the Chillba hat provides outstanding sun coverage, making it an essential accessory for anyone who spends a...
- Secure and comfortable fit: The internal mesh headpiece and nylon tubular webbing of the Chillba hat work together to provide a secure and comfortable...
Can you cut wet grass?
Yes, you can cut wet grass with a weed eater or a scythe, but not a lawn mower. The water on the grass gives the grass more weight and is therefore slower to move which makes it easy to use the string trimmer and even a scythe (if you know how, read “The Scythe Book” if you are interested in learning how).
Do not use a lawn mower of any size or shape on a wet lawn otherwise you’ll get a lawn that looks like it has a mohawk.
Is it okay to weed eat after it rains?
Yes, weed eating after it rains is perfectly fine. The only thing you should not do is mow when the grass is wet because your lawn will look like it has mohawks. This happens because the front tires flatten the grass and it does not spring up quick enough for the blades to cut it.
To weed eat wet grass you will need to have a sufficiently powered weed eater. Electric weed eaters sometimes struggle to move the extra mass but this is usually only in really dense grass which has never been tended to before.
Can you weed eat in the rain?
Weed eating in the rain can be a tricky thing to do but as long as you are using a gas weed eater, you should be fine. The danger with an electric weed eater is that you risk electrical shock or your tool completely shorting out. If you must weed eat in the rain, wait till the rain turns to light as opposed to heavy downpour.
Can my weed eater handle wet grass?
If you are using a gas weed eater, you will probably have sufficient power to weed eat wet grass. If you are using an electric weed eater, you should probably have one of the higher voltage tools to adequately do the job. A string trimmer like this 60V Flexvolt String Trimmer is what you should use for wet grass.
- Gear drive design of the edger/trimmer powers through tough overgrowth
- High-efficiency brushless motor of the cordless grass trimmer maximizes run time and motor life
- Lawn trimmer provides 15-inch cutting swath with 0.080-inch line (also accepts 0.095 inch)
The trimmer line really shouldn’t make too much of a difference but you can always upgrade to a brush blade like this one from Arxin. Be sure to purchase a set of these blades with the adapter kit too otherwise you’ll need to buy it separately. Also, this can only be used on gas trimmers and not electric string trimmers. Most brands have a proprietary cutting head which cannot be replaced easily.
This brush blade works great to mow down heavy dense brush without pulverizing it and tangling it around the weed eater.
- 【Size】The 3 teeth brush cutter blade & 6 teeth brush blade diameter is 10"/254mm. Arbor bore size is 1"/25.4mm. Blade teeth: 3T/6T.
- 【High Quality】The brush blade is made of manganese steel, sharper and durable. Long service life.
- 【Safe and Efficient】The blade is easy to install and easy to use. No direction, double side cutting edges. Safe and efficient.
Be sure to keep your eyes safe while weed eating as projectiles are very common. It is not worth it to lose an eye while using a weed eater.
Angel is a Cuban immigrant who grew up with backyard chickens and a yard-loving abuela. He is our “gear guy” who can never have too many pairs of gloves or weed whacker attachments.