There is some debate about whether lawn mowers can and should be stored outside and left to be rained on. There are some people who have never brought their lawn mower under any cover, and of course others who hardly let their mower see any light.
There are some things to consider if you want to store your lawn mower outside. First of all, a lawn mower can absolutely be stored outside but it will significantly shorten the lifespan of your mower. The constant sun beating down and the rain will wear out the paint, plastic, and especially any soft materials like foam handles or seats.
This post includes affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission on purchases made at no additional cost to you.
In a rush? Here are our top picks!
Any bare metal will also rust. Since most mowers are made of some form of steel, they are susceptible to corrosion if exposed to humidity. Keeping your mower outside without any protection is risky business. However, there are some options you can try to minimize the damage done by the elements.
I personally keep my lawn mower outside but I take precautions to minimize any rain damage. For instance, I like using a used vinyl billboard as a tarp for my mower. Since I mow very often, I like to keep the machine close by.
Can I leave my lawn mower outside in the rain?
Yes, but there will be some minor damage on every rain. First, any exposed electronics will start to get damaged. The one which is most obvious is the hour indicator on all lawn mowers. The actual electronics may not get damaged but the indicator will eventually give out because they are not rated to be water proof.
Where to store my lawn mower without a shed?
Storing your lawnmower outside can be done very easily. There are a couple options you can consider to keep your mower safe from the elements and away from prying eyes.
The easiest is using a tarp. Anything will do but a heavy duty tarp like these is best. We use them to cover our chicken coops and they have proven to be very reliable in the rain, sun, and snow. This tarp is essentially water proof, even on rainy days our chickens are out foraging while staying dry beneath the tarp.
There are various sizes but you’ll at least need a 10’x12′ tarp to cover your mower. If you are covering a riding mower, a 12’x16′ tarp may be more your size. Be sure to go with a medium to heavy duty tarp so that no water gets through to your mower.
Be sure to go with the heavy duty tarp instead of the cheap lightweight blue tarp because your short term solution may end up being a long term solution and then you will still need to buy the more expensive tarp.
Be sure to use some bungee cords if your are concerned that the wind will whisk the tarp away.
- Made of super elastic rubber rope, providing strong elasticity, strong and durable. The ABS-coated hook prevents your car from being scratched
- Anti-UV polyester cord jacket for extended outdoor use and vinyl coated hooks prevent scratches to your cars, and the rope's rugged properties allow...
- Assorted sizes: 6pc 18”, 4pc 24”, 2pc 32”, 2pc 40” bungee cords in 8 mm diameter, 6pc 10"mini cords and 4pc canopy ties
There are also various quick shelters which won’t break the bank. Check out these top recommended shelters which are easy to assemble and provide your lawn mower the protection it needs.
The ShelterLogic Shed in a Box is a great choice for long term storage of your equipment. It is a little pricey but it is cheaper than a plastic or metal shed and it is very easy to move. It’s not as flimsy as an EZ-UP and will hold up to quite a bit of punishment from the wind and rain.
The roll up door makes it easy to walk in and out of the shed, you can even ride your mower in. A 6’x12′ size is more than enough room to fit your mower and have enough room for other equipment. If all you need is storage for a small mower, then a 6’x6′ should be all you need.
- DURABLE FRAME: Made from an all-steel metal 6 x 12 x 8-foot frame that is 1-3/8 inches thick
- MADE TO LAST: Bonded with a premium powder-coated finish that prevents chipping, peeling, rust, and corrosion
- WATERPROOF COVERAGE: Grey cover is durable and made from an advanced triple-layer ripstop that is waterproof and UV-treated to resist fading
This type of storage tent is an inexpensive way to store your lawn mower and anything else which you want to keep out of the rain. However, it is flimsy and will get pummeled by the wind and rain after a couple of weeks.
However, if you are needing a quick solution, this tent will help keep your mower dry and dust free, at least for a couple of weeks.
- 🟩Superior material coating: Waterproof oxford cloth with PU and UV coating, protects bicycles from weather, dust, dirt and sun damage....
- 🟩Oxford cloth fabric with UV and water repellent treatment, protect your bike from scratches, sun damage, morning dew, rain and dirt
- 🟩Easy to take with you anywhere with a matching carrying bag. Fits most adult trikes. Length is 79in, Height is 63in
Angel is a Cuban immigrant who grew up with backyard chickens and a yard-loving abuela. He is our “gear guy” who can never have too many pairs of gloves or weed whacker attachments.