The summer heat always tends to catch us all by surprise. After a late frost, some of us are still hoping the cool spring days will stick around. Unfortunately, the heat of the summer comes at us quickly and removes all of our will to be outside for more than a few minutes. Luckily, there are some really great gadgets which can help keep you cool while doing some yard work with your family.
This post includes affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission on purchases made at no additional cost to you.
In a rush? Here are our top picks!
Best Portable Cooling Gadgets
If you’ve ever tried browsing for garden supplies, you may have been struck by analysis paralysis.
Picking the best gadget to keep you cool can be exhausting, so we’re here to help. Here are the best cooling systems on the market today to quickly cool you down.
A neck fan is a by far our first recommendation. This hands free fan goes around your neck and will do wonders for you. To cool yourself immediately, splash some water on your cheeks, on your neck, and ears, turn the fan on high speed and you’ll probably get some goosebumps from being overly cooled.
I absolutely love this neck fan by JISULIFE, I use it while working in our hot attic, while mowing, and gardening. The design is also very sleek, often friends have asked me it was a set of speakers.
This neck fan also holds it’s charge very well and is rechargeable through a USB-C port. The low speed is plenty to stay cool, but the occasional high speed is great to get a quick cooldown.
- 【Safety & 78 Air Outlets】 A novel neck fan that can send the wind without waving your hands by simply placing it on your neck.Designed without...
- 【Hands-free Design & Fashionable】Hand-free neck fan was designed as a headphone to free your hands anywhere; The fashion style makes you look cool...
- 【4-16 Running Hrs & 3 Speeds】4000mAh large capacity batteries provide 4-16 working hrs duration (depending on different speeds). Adjust...
This outdoor misting system is a more permanent solution but still very portable. The cooling effect is incredible. This is what amusement parks use to keep their guest cool while waiting in line, just think about how good that feels when you walk through it, that’s because a mist system can lower the temperature by 30 degrees.
The misting system is easy to install, just fit it onto any garden hose and string up the misting nozzles. If you have a fan, set up the nozzles in front of the fan to move the cooling mist around. If you have any animals which are susceptible to heat stroke, this system can be the solution you’ve been waiting for.
- Cooling Misting System : The misting cooling system will create a calm, cooling mist of fine water droplets, absorb heat and reduce temperature, cool...
- Good Quality & Updated Design: The outdoor mist cooling system equips with a universal brass adapter(3/4") , flexible durable PE misting line,...
- Variety of Applications: The misting system has an extensive applications for your backyard or patio, a spray mister for your garden,...
There are lots of hats to choose from but this wide brim hat by Kavu is my favorite. Not only will it block the harsh rays of the sun but it will also keep you dry when it starts to rain since it is 100% water repellant, it will even float in the water.
The hat sits on your head with a mesh interior which allows more air around your head. There are also a number of really fun looking designs so you are not stuck with the traditional brown, grey, or solid colors. Check them out yourself.
How do you stay cool working in extreme heat?
The best choice for extreme heat is a cold drink of water to avoid heat stroke. Follow that up with a neck fan such as this one by JISULIFE. Cooling your neck has a tremendous cooling effect on your body.
Are cooling towels worth it?
This is hard to say because a controlled study is difficult to accomplish. Using a regular damp gym towel can easily cool you down just like a cooling towel. I much rather prefer a cooling neck fan.
Angel is a Cuban immigrant who grew up with backyard chickens and a yard-loving abuela. He is our “gear guy” who can never have too many pairs of gloves or weed whacker attachments.